Rest assured that our co-op has been designed and built to high standards of safety.
Some Basics of Our Buildings
- Old Grace Housing Co-operative consists of
- a three-storey residential building located at 200 Arlington Street, including:
- a free-standing fourplex (4 bedroom), and
- four townhouses (3 bedroom) located on Evanson Street at Preston Avenue.
- The Arlington building is 67,000 square feet
- The Evanson building is 4,800 square feet
- The building construction is wood frame
How is Safety Built into Our Buildings?
- The building is equipped with sprinklers throughout.
- Each unit and hallway has hard-wired smoke detectors that also act as carbon-monoxide detectors. The smoke detectors also contain backup batteries in the event of a power outage.
- There is a fire-alarm panel in the front vestibule that is monitored by Cambridge Security Systems/Fire Tech Systems.
- Inside the panel is a list of suites of people requiring assistance getting out of the building.
- Emergency lighting is located in the hallways, stairwells, and all common areas.
- Fire-alarm pull stations are located in every wing, in each suite in our fourplex, at each stairwell, and in the common areas.
- Multipurpose fire extinguishers are located throughout the building.
- Floorplans indicating the location of stairs, pull stations, and fire extinguishers are located in each wing of the main building as well as the basement.
- The fire alarm system can be activated if someone pulls the alarm, by heat or smoke detection, and/or the sprinkler flow switch.
- Fire/smoke barriers are built in to keep flames and smoke from spreading to other parts of the building.
- Several fire stations are close by; the closest is at Burnell & Sargent.
- Two fire hydrants are located on Evanson, two on Arlington.
- Emergency vehicles can access the building from all sides, as well as the back lane and parking lot.
- The Evanson site is a separate fire alarm system, so if the alarm goes off, it will not set off the alarm at the Arlington site and vice versa.
- Evanson was designed and built by the same companies that created the main site, and appropriate safety features were duplicated in the townhouse complex.