Buddies & Alternates
Each person who has self-identified as unable to exit the building on their own has been assigned a Volunteer Buddy and an Alternate. The Alternate fulfills the duties if the Buddy is not available for any reason.
- Support the resident who is unable to exit the building on her own.
- Prepare items that need to leave with the resident.
- Help the Pet Helper prepare the pet to leave safely.
- Stay with the resident until she is rescued by firefighters or until the all-clear is given.
- Remain calm and encourage the resident to remain calm.
Floor Captains & Alternates
Each wing on each floor has a Volunteer Floor Captain and an Alternate. The Alternate fulfills the duties if the Floor Captain is not available for any reason.
- Maintain a list of residents with mobility issues who are unable to use the stairwell.
- Knock at each suite to encourage people to leave their suite if safe to do so.
- Check the suite of everyone with mobility issues to be sure help has arrived.
- Ensure the building is emptied as quickly and safely as possible.
- Exit the building after everyone who is able to leave has done so.
- Direct people to the closest Muster Point (Arlington, Preston or Evanson).
- Remain calm and encourage the residents to remain calm.
- Advise people when the all-clear is given.
Pet Helpers & Alternates
Volunteer Pet Helpers have been assigned to pet owners who are unable to exit the building on their own. The Alternate fulfills the duties if the Pet Helper is not available for any reason.
- Ensure the resident’s pet is taken out of the building.
- Keep the pet warm and dry if possible.
- Remain calm and encourage the pet to remain as calm as possible.
- Do not let the pet loose.
- Care for the pet until the ‘all-clear’ is given.
All residents with pets are encouraged to have a Pet Plan in place.