The purpose of this by-law is to protect the health, safety, welfare and quiet enjoyment of the residents, visitors and employees of Old Grace Housing Co-operative.
Due to the irritation and known health risks of exposure to second-hand tobacco smoke, increased risk of fire and increased maintenance and cleaning costs:
All forms of tobacco smoking are prohibited on the Old Grace Housing Co-operative property, including:
- inside residents’ housing units;
- on private use patios and balconies;
- in common areas used by residents and visitors, both indoor and outdoor;
- elsewhere on co-op property.
Within their unit, or on private use patios and balconies, members will be held responsible for compliance with the no-smoking policy by:
- other occupants of their unit
- visitors to their unit
- people hired by the member to provide a service or product
- short-term and long-term guests
- People interested in becoming members of OGHC will be informed of the no-smoking policy during Membership Information meetings, and in the Membership Information package.
- A statement of agreement with OGHC’s no-smoking policy will be included in the Membership Application.
- Persons hired by the OGHC Board to provide a service or product will be informed of the Co-op’s no-smoking policy, and will be expected to comply with this.
MEMBER COMPLAINTS AND POLICY VIOLATIONS
- A member with a complaint regarding smoking by another member, or someone in his/her household, should first make a reasonable attempt to resolve the issue through a respectful discussion.
If the violation persists, the member will make a written complaint to the Chair of the Member Relations Committee (see OGHC Dispute Resolution Policy).