Prevention: Plan to prevent a fire

How can we keep our personal and shared spaces safe from fire?

Make your suite and storage locker fire-safe

Is each room in your suite easy to walk through or do you have too much ‘stuff’? Clear paths are necessary for an emergency escape route. Also, too much ‘stuff’ can fuel a fire. Keep your balcony, hallways, and exit areas free of debris and clutter in case you need to exit quickly and/or firefighters need to get in.

Electrical cords and plugs can be fire hazards if they are frayed (torn) or cracked.

  • Check the electrical cords and plugs on your appliances, television, sound system, and computer. If they are torn or cracked, replace them immediately.
  • Protect your computer with a surge protector.
  • Do not plug too many things into one outlet or extension cord.
  • Make sure that large items such as refrigerators, stoves, or space heaters are plugged directly into a wall outlet and not into an extension cord.
  • Do not run cords under rugs or between rooms.
  • Always follow the manufacturer’s safety instructions.

Keep lighters and matches out of reach of children.

Candles should only be used in strong holders that will not catch fire or tip over. These can be made of pottery, metal, or glass. Do not leave lit candles or incense sticks unattended, keep them out of reach of pets and children, and keep them away from materials that can catch fire, such as curtains, furniture, and paper.

Keep your patio or balcony barbeque away from the building when you’re using it. Be mindful of any hazards, like roof overhangs and trees. Turn the barbeque and propane tank off when it is not in use.

Never place a portable space heater near materials that can catch fire, such as drapery or bedding. Be sure the heater is turned off when you leave the room, go to bed, or leave your suite.

Materials that can start a fire should not be kept in your suite or storage locker. These items include: gasoline cans or propane tanks, oil-based paints, varnishes, lacquer, turpentine, spray cans, and paint thinner/Varsol. 

Be safe when you’re cooking

Never leave the kitchen when food or liquids are cooking on the stove or in the microwave. Unattended cooking is the #1 cause of kitchen fires.

Keep cooking surfaces clean so food and grease don’t build up.

Keep potholders and towels away from the hot surfaces.

Don’t wear loose-fitting sleeves when cooking.

Don’t use a dishtowel to remove hot items from the oven or microwave.

Turn pot handles toward the back of the stove so that children and pets can’t reach them. Use the back burners if children are in the kitchen.

If you have a grease fire, turn off the burner, then put a lid, large plate, or cookie sheet over the flames. Leave the covered pan to cool. Do not try to move it or take it outside. Don’t use water or flour: these can spread oil fires and cause explosions. If the flames do not go out, leave your suite immediately, pull the fire alarm, and call 911.

Be safe in the laundry room

All washers and dryers, whether in your suite or the co-op Laundry Room, must be installed and serviced by a trained professional. The correct plug and outlet must be used, and the machine must be properly connected.

Clean the dryer filter after each load and remove lint that has collected around the drum of the dryer.

Do not put more clothes in the washer and dryer than they were designed to hold.

Watch for safety hazards around our co-op

Please advise the Property Manager of:

  • burned out lights in the exit signs.
  • doors that don’t work properly.
  • carpets that are damaged and/or could cause someone to trip.

 

Français, Kurdî, عربى, English, Kiswahili, Pilipino »